When summer days come to an end and the fall season kicks in, don’t let yourself be caught off guard with the wrong clothes or boots for a long, chilly day on your feet. Choosing the best work boots for cold weather will depend on your location and the climate, as well as your tolerance and comfort in low temperatures. You may also want a pair of work boots you can wear throughout the day whether you’re going hunting, to a project site, or out on the town.
Here are the considerations to keep in mind when choosing a pair of cold weather work boots:
- Location and general weather – If you live in areas like Florida or Montana, your autumn months will feel completely different since one remains relatively warm while the other can feel like winter came early. Depending on your location and the average weather, you’ll need a pair of durable work boots that won’t leave your feet sweating or frozen. If you’re hoping to wear the same pair of boots from summer to fall, it might also be better to incorporate thick wool socks into your work outfit to help keep your feet warmer if needed.
- Insulation levels – Considering where you’ll be working, and whether you plan on purchasing a pair of winter work boots, will determine whether you need a pair of lightly insulated autumn boots. A layer of 200g-400g insulation can help keep your feet warm during cold weather fall days but learning about boot insulation levels can help you decide what the best cold weather work boots will be for you.
- Boot purpose – Does your job require a safety toe or will you need waterproof capabilities? Are you looking for a pair of work boots that you can wear from the job site straight out on the town? Will you also be trekking over rough terrain or hunting in your boots? You can also use our guide on choosing work boots based on your occupation to help make a decision!
Fan Favorite Work Boots for Cold Weather
If you’re unsure which autumn boots are right for you, consider some of our loyal customers’ fan favorites for those crisp fall days:
- Infinity Waterproof Insulated Boots – These 8” boots are the perfect solution to keeping your feet and ankles dry while the 400g of insulation provides extra warmth on cold autumn days.
- Infinity FD Series 7” – Looking for a pair of heavy-duty work boots with waterproof features that can double as hunting boots? Look no further – The Infinity FD Series is designed to handle the toughest jobs.
- American Heritage Wellington Series 11” – For ultimate ease, choose a pair of taller Wellington boots that you can easily pull on while still having a steel toe for protection and a comfortable footbed.
- American Heritage Moc Toe Wedge Series – Our best-selling and most-loved boot is a fan favorite for a reason. Classic good looks, supple premium leather, and a durable wedge sole will leave your feet happy at the end of a long day, and you’ll even be able to wear them out on the town.
- Emperor Toe Series – For when your toes prefer some breathing room, the Emperor Toe series has a wider and taller toe box so your piggies can have some wiggle room while still providing composite toe protection. Made with full-grain leather and a black outsole to minimize the appearance of dirt, these are a solid pair of work boots that can be used across a range of jobs.
- 1957 Series Waterproof Safety Toe Boots – A beautiful work boot that features Crazyhorse leathers along with full waterproof features will keep your feet dry. You’ll also love the extra traction of our MaxWear 90 outsole while working outside on those frosty mornings.