Spending long, hot days on construction sites can take a toll on your body, especially when you’re wearing heavy protective gear. Choosing the best summer work boots can make a big difference to how comfortable your feet stay during the workday.
Here are some of the key factors you should consider when buying hot weather work boots.
- Breathability - Breathable exteriors can really impact how your feet feel the heat. Boots made of cheap leather or poor-quality synthetic materials trap the moisture that causes sweaty, uncomfortable situations. Your sweat-drenched feet will be prone to blisters and hot spots if they can’t breathe in your boots. It may not seem like it, but full-grain leather is more breathable and dries quicker – plus, nobody wants to put on soggy boots the next morning. There are also protective hiker-style boots that incorporate mesh construction to help improve breathability.
- Comfortable footbeds and insoles - Look for boots that have removable footbeds you can air out and dry overnight. You may even want to occasionally wash footbeds to get rid of bacteria that leads to stinky boots. If you add insoles to your work boots for additional support, make sure you choose quality insoles made of breathable materials that can be dried out and washed.
- Well-fitting boots - When you’re hot and tired, you’re more likely to notice poor-fitting boots that irritate your feet. You’ll also notice that your feet become more prone to blisters during those sweltering summer days if your boots don’t fit well and your feet sweat. Your best bet is to try on different work boots before buying them to make sure that you’re getting well-fitted, and job-fitted, boots.
- Safety toe - If the job site requires it, you’ll need to choose boots with a safety toe. Since steel is a heat conductor, a composite toe is a better choice for hot weather work boots. Composite is typically composed of non-metal materials that don’t conduct heat (or electricity), meaning your feet can stay cooler.
- Shorter boot height - Unless you need tall boots, stay away from Wellington work boots and footwear with a longer boot shaft. There are plenty of 6” boot options and hiker-style work shoes that have protective toes. These shorter options should help your comfort levels in higher heat environments.
Recommended Hot Weather Work Boots
Although we can’t do anything about hot working conditions, we can help you stay comfortable on the job. In those summer months when it’s hard to stay cool, it’s important to look after yourself, as well as your equipment. Settling for poor quality work boots means you'll most likely end up with uncomfortably sweaty feet and soaking wet boots by the end of the day. A durable, quality pair of composite toe work boots can make your day better.
American Heritage Crazy Horse Moc Toe Maxwear Wedge Boots
With a slip-resistant outsole and a removable shock absorbing footbed on a Poron® comfort cushion insole, these boots are a great choice for a wide range of jobs. Plus, the Goodyear storm welt construction helps keep materials joined together to last as long as possible.
Crosstrek Mid Waterproof Safety Toe Boots
A waterproof yet breathable upper paired with an anti-slip outsole makes these boots an excellent choice whether you’re working on tough jobs or in poor weather. These hikers offer the flexibility and comfort of a hiker with the extra protection of a composite toe.
American Heritage 8” Composite Round Toe Boots
When you spend a long day on the job, the added height on these boots can help with ankle support. The full-grain leather keeps your feet dry and comfortable while still offering breathability, and the removable footbed means you can dry your boots out if your feet sweat.
1957 Series Pitstop Moc Toe Maxwear Wedge Boots
Although regular waterproof boots can get a bit toasty, these are made with a breathable X-Stream Waterproof® membrane that helps keep your feet dry and blister-free. Plus, these boots are dual purpose since they can be used on the job and on the hunt. They double as the official hunting boot of Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever!
Crosstrex I-MET² Composite Toe Hikers
These lightweight, waterproof hikers have a durable outsole and are designed to withstand the toughest jobs. The waterproof membrane will keep your feet dry on dewy mornings and the composite toe has an integrated metatarsal guard for ultimate protection.